Learn to cook and become a professional chef in only 300 hours!
You could be working in the field you love, within 4 months!
Employers look for staff with solid training in all aspects of cooking from basic prep to food safety. The basic cook diploma gives you the skills and training which will allow you to work in any professional kitchen anywhere in the world.
This diploma program is an intensive 300 hour exploration and application of classic culinary techniques. With two-thirds of the program spent in the kitchen under the supervision of experienced chef instructors, students develop the real-world hands on skills necessary for culinary success. This program is designed by professional chefs for both those who are serious recreational cooks and too prepare those who want to work in the food service industry for jobs in the field.
Full time and part time Basic Cook classes are available.
Next Course Start Date: May 27th, 2013. August 19th, 2013. September 23rd, 2013.
Full Time BASIC:
Morning class hours are Monday to Friday 8am – 12 noon
Course length 15 weeks
Part Time BASIC:
These continuing education classes are Mondays & Tuesdays: 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm
Note: Continuing education training is on-going and students are able to join the on-going 300 training hour’s class as space becomes available.
Course length 36 weeks.
Classes fill up fast! Click Here to arrange a tour or call 905-842-4336.
Course Outline: Basic Cook Diploma Program
Sanitation, Safety and Equipment
- Interpretation of Terms
- Personal Hygiene
- Food Contamination
- Safe Food Handling
- Construction Standards
- Maintenance Standards
- Sanitation Codes
- The Health Protection and Promotion Act
- Food Poison Prevention
- Flour Production & Applications
- Types of Shortening
- Sugar Commodities
- Eggs in Baking
- Dairy Products
- Use of Salts
- Leavening Agents
- Chocolate and Flavourings
- Major nutrient identification
- Energy sources
- Proteins and Vegetarian Diets
- Carbohydrate and Dietary Fiber
- Vitamins, Processing & Additives
- Mineral Elements
- Water – Sources, value & quality
- Developing Food Patterns
Culinary Techniques – Basic
- Kitchen Tools – Identification, Storage & Handling
- Uniform Standards
- Proper Food Storage and Packaging
- Fire Procedures
- Stock Cookery
- Thickening Agents
- Soup Cookery
- Sauce Cookery
- Egg & Breakfast Cookery
- Short Order Cookery
- Vegetable, Pasta & Rice Cookery
- Fish & Shellfish Cookery
- Meat Entrees
Communications – Basic
- Basic Business Communications
- Accident Reports
- Resume preparation
- Cover Letters
- Application Forms
Calculations – Basic
- Addition, subtraction, multiplication & division
- Common Fractions
- Decimal Fractions
- Standards of Measurement
- Fahrenheit to Celsius conversions
Techniques of Baking
- Pie Dough
- Piping Batters
- Quick Breads and Muffins
- Cream Desserts
- Yeast Dough
- Choux Paste Products
- Cake Preparation
- Hospitality /Tourism Perspectives and Organizations
- Orientation, Training and Career Planning
- Menu Planning and Basic Marketing
- Table Service
- Basic Kitchen Calculations
- Basic Purchasing
- Kitchen Organization, Maintenance and Security
Food Theory – Basic
- Major cooking methods
- Vegetable cuts and Flavouring Agents
- Stock and Soup Cookery
- Sauce Cookery
- Breakfast and Short Order Cookery
- Vegetable and Pasta & Rice Cookery
Quantity Food Preparation
- Rules of Personal Hygiene and Sanitation
- Safety Regulations
- Large Kitchen Equipment Identification
- Stock, Soup and Sauce Cookery
- Poultry, Lamb, Pork, Beef, Fish Cookery
- Potato and Vegetable Cookery
- Salad Preparation
- Dessert Preparation
Click Here or call 905-842-4336 to arrange a tour.
You know you want to be a chef.
There are many benefits to a career in food service: lots of job potential, world- wide demand, terrific income potential, excitement and challenge.
Who hires? Top restaurants, cruise lines, care facilities, educational institutions…. the list of potential employers is endless.
Want to be your own boss? Open a restaurant with the training you receive through our culinary management diploma program. Or become a specialist chef.